Monday, August 4, 2008

Never a Dull Moment

August 7, 2008: Some have commented I don't update the blog often enough. Consider it a reflection of life in La Veta...everything is a little slower.
I could write about laundry or trying to get the dumpster people to show up, but I don't think it would hold interest for too long.

















However, yesterday a doe with nursing triplet fawns wandered into our yard! The fawns still had their spots, so they were very young. A doe usually births twins, sometimes triplets, but it's unusual for all three to survive as a doe has only 2 teats. So I guess the deer in La Veta are livin' large since they're healthy enough to feed three babies!





These two deer wandered into the backyard earlier in the day. I took these through the window in the RV only because that's where I happened to be at the time. The deer here are fearless. They'll stare you down and start toward you if you interfere with their feedings! Even Waffles is no threat to them.
















Waffy and I had another bear encounter last night. We were out walking in the beautiful warm evening when I looked over my shoulder and Oh Shit! a black bear in the field across the street. Waffy was off leash so I grabbed her nape and hurried her toward home. She didn't see the bear or else that would have been another blog.

Day before yesterday the La Veta Fire Protection District (that would be the fire dept.) was called to assist another fire protection district on a 4 acre brush fire in Trinidad. Just as we got there, they radio'd for us to "stand down" or "thanks, but we don't need you now". Rats!! There were 4 of us from the LVFPD who responded. I almost didn't get to go because I could only find one of my boots. I think a neighborhood dog took off with the mate (or Andy hid it). Anyhoo, upon presenting myself at the station dressed in my Wildfire gear and flip-flops, Rich, the asst. chief, found an extra pair of boots that were a men's 9.5. I take a woman's 9, but with extra socks, I made out just fine. We got to approach the fire line after the blaze was extinguished and I met other fellow volunteer firefighters from other counties. And to top it off, we got a free Whopper!!! HOO-HAA!

Did I say things were slow around here?!!!


That's all I got for now. I'll do better. lvoe,k


No comments: